Kerak telor or Egg crust is a Betawi (Jakarta) traditional spicy omelette dish in Indonesian cuisine. It is made from glutinous rice cooked with egg and served with serundeng (fried shredded coconut), fried shallots and dried shrimp topping. It is considered as a snack and not as a main dish. The vendors of kerak telor are easily the most ubiquitous during annual Jakarta Fair and it has also become a must-have menu item for visitors at the event.
The food was probably named after a slightly charred apparently is said to have been there when Jakarta was called Batavia. It was at Batavia there are many coconut trees which are used by people for various purposes. One of them is to scrape the flesh and mix it with sticky rice, eggs and some seasoning and then cooked in such a way that the confectionary called egg crust.
HOW TO MAKE KERAK TELOR (egg crust) :
- 100 g white glutinous rice * washed and soaked in water for approximately 2 hours
- 4 duck eggs
- 4 tbsp fried onions
- 5 tablespoons serundeng
- 4 pieces chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 4 tablespoons dried shrimp powder
How to make:
- Heat a frying pan until hot enough egg crust.
- Put one tablespoon of vegetable sticky rice that has been soaked with water, cover and cook about 2-3 minutes.
- Open the lid, then put 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of fried onions, 1 tablespoon serundeng, 1/2 tbsp dried shrimp, 1 piece of cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tsp pepper powder and 1/2 tsp sugar and stir well.
- Roll out the side of pan approximately 20 cm in diameter, re-cover and cook until fragrant
- Behind frying egg to terjilat crust and the upper surface fire burning fragrant. Serve.